Sep 7, 2008

Restoring error with brand new iphone?


Here is the solution.

I had a client that just got his brand spanking new iphone. Excited about it, he of course wanted to get all his music over so he could enjoy all the wonderful features of his new acquired gadget. But much to his dismay, the iPhone did not turn up in iTunes upon connection. So he of course called me. I was befuddled, and confused by this. His computer very well stated that there in fact WAS an iPhone connected (in system profiler). So what does one doctor do?

Well I tried numerous things. The least remote option would be to reset the iPhone, but that only got us further into trouble. The phone would NOT be reset, even in recovery mode. It would only turn up with an annoying, and repetitive error, that both of us would grow to hate. iTunes simply said "error 1604" every time a recovery was attempted.

Then I whipped out my doctormac guide book, to find advice. I put on my genius hat, and paced like I never paced before. All sorts of different apps, of hack nature was tried and consequently failing in fast succession. INdependence, ZiPhone (never use this app!!!), iFuntastic and so on. All gave up on the deceptively simple task of reviving the poor unfortunate iPhone. My client was growing angry, and I was frustrated. Or was it vice versa. In any case, I was about to give up as something completely illogical dawned on me. One last attempt. Even though I had told myself, the last attempt would be to install iTunes in windows to see if that worked. Which it didn't.

But downloading AppZapper. Complete obliterating iTunes from the face of the hard drive platters, and reinstalling it, did the trick!

Now recovery, reset and syncing are working just perfect. And my client can finally enjoy his new purchased iPhone in all its glory.

YAY!

No comments: