Mar 26, 2010

QuickTime crashing when exporting?


I've had this annoying bug that I didn't care to do anything about for the longest time. If I opened up a movie in QuickTime Player 7 on Snow Leopard, and went to the file menu to export, the player would crash immediately. Because of my endless complacency and procrastination I just used my other computer running Snow Leopard through Screen Sharing to export the files I needed. But it was an error that would begin to haunt me. Like a closet you know is a mess, but you can't deal with cleaning up, but constantly need to access... I turned my blind side to the problem, but then got frustrated every time I had to deal with it.

So finally I got myself to man up to the task. And it was so simple. It was just a bad plug in:
Here's what I did.

Find the folder Library on the very top of your hard drive. In there, there's a folder called QuickTime. Plain and simple. And inside THAT folder, there are three plug ins called Flip4Mac something. Just remove those, and you once again can export.

OR... alternatively... and much simpler:
Go to this site:
http://dynamic.telestream.net/downloads/download-flip4macwmv.htm

and download the newest version (64bit) of flip4mac and install.
Voila!

Dr. Mac