Feb 6, 2009

Time travel is wee bit difficult...


I like to start all my articles differently, but basically I'm just keeping this blog for my own purposes so I will remember how I finally fixed something. If you who are reading get something out of it too, then I'm only glad to have helped.

In this case, I had a client who had purchased the Time Capsule in the belief that it would help him backup. But that was hardly the case, as it hasn't really worked for at least a year now. Or something in that order. The problem wasn't that it wasn't working, it was just working exacerbatingly slow. Like it would take days, just to copy a few megabytes. And when you have 80 gigabytes to go, it can be a patience test to endure.

Up until now it has been postponed again and again. But finally this week, I got around to trying to figure out what was wrong. To sum it up, the result was that it now works pretty fast, and reliably. But there was a lot of trial and error to get there.

So without further ado, these are the settings that I found to be working best.

1. Make sure that if you have an airport network with more units than the time capsule, that they are ALL compatible with 802.11n.

2. Make sure that the other devices are NOT extending the range of the network. This can be checked off in a checkbox under wireless, in the apple airport setup utility, under the specific airport base.

3. Make sure that the MultiCast rate is set as high as possible. In a nut shell: Higher multicast rate, means higher speed, but less range.

4. Check mark "Interference Robustness" on the internet connected, or first, airport base station.

With those settings I was able to get a pretty good throughput. My test file was 4.5 GB and would take 15 minutes to copy over to the mounted Time Capsule drive.

No comments: